Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Mystery Challenge Update... and Courtroom Experience

I'm so sorry to say that I was unable to get everything done to share the Mystery Challenge with you today... :(. Tomorrow I will have everything finished... *Ü*.

With packing... homeschool... and getting this house in order I'm simply exhausted! Although, my husband and children have been a huge help as they always are... being a woman and all that comes with that we simply just have to do more than everybody else... why I wonder... hee-hee...?!

Our homeschool lesson for today was a field trip to an actual courtroom. A mock courtroom setting was also set up for those that wanted to participate (our children were chosen to be jurors).

Our children witnessed traffic ticket violation cases and an assault trial... which was so cool to them... *Ü*. They spoke with the judge (in his "judge chamber" with so many intersting items to look at... it was amazing) who shared his experiences on the bench. The famous people he has met... Presidents... Nixon, Ford, Clinton, Bush (both Sr. & Jr.). He has also met the Pope and Mohammad Ali. Then, our children spoke with an officer that's near his retirement and shared a story of being shot in the foot. Finally, they were shown the holding cells of the prisoners... it was cool and yet not so cool they expressed a couple of times... I couldn't agree more *Ü*.

As for the mock courtroom setting it was a theft case. It ended in a hung jury due to two jurors felt he was not guilty. Our children indeed felt he was and they were frustrated that he was not found as such... *Ü*.

What a blessing this courtroom field trip experience was for our family. They couldn't stop talking about it on the way home. For a moment there I thought we were going to have 3 lawyers in our family... hee-hee.

I hope you will forgive me for wanting to take the rest of the day and "try" to relax a little... oh and make dinner... *Ü*.

I hope your day was eventful and exciting too...

**Lots of BIG Hugs**

5 comments:

  1. Wow That sounds like it was a very exciting and Fun Feild Trip!! Meeting a real judge and talking to him way Cool!! I want to thank you for the Awards!! It means alot to me for someone to notice my blog like this!! I am so new to the award thing...Do I put them in my side bar, or into a post? I am going to get this done tonight! Thanks again Deborah!!

    http://ibecircled.blogspot.com
    Rexann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rexann,
    Yes, it was a great lesson learned today... BE GOOD... *Ü*!!
    Your very welcome... you deserve it!!
    I place my awards in both a post and in the sidebar... *Ü*.
    I look forward to visiting with you often after we are settled from our move.
    Have a beautiful evening,
    **Lots of BIG Hugs**
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deborah! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment. I love your blog it's so cute! Not to mention all the great ideas you share. Can't wait to see what else you come up with. I'm following now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a really great field trip experience for you and your kiddos. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deborah!

    I used to work at a lawfirm and a few years back we had a "Bring your child to work" day. We must have had 25 kids come in and we split them up into plaintiff and defendant groups and assigned each one a certain task. Even the little kids had a job to do, a courier, a witness, etc.. The older ones were the lawyers, secretaries, paralegals and of that nature. We set up a scenerio of a playground incident that caused a personal injury between two of the oldest boys. Then we taught them all about the process, from start to finish, with the end resulting in a mediation which was headed up by one of the partners acting as the judge. It was so much fun and the kids really enjoyed it. I'm so glad you had your children do that trip yesterday. I'm sure they had a blast but more important I know they learned something. Your a good mom!

    Susan
    http://cricutandgrasshopper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy day to leave me your sweet comments, as they always brighten my day. *Ü*

P.S. I have set the "Comment Moderation" approval process to active in order to help maintain the spam. Another positive side of this feature is that it notifies you of every new comment received, so that you do not miss the opportunity to leave a message in return. *Ü*